Friday, October 10, 2008

Jaba Challah


One of my most treasured memories as a kid was helping my mother bake. She made Challah (pronounced: hall ah with a ick sound over the hall) and she also made piroshkis, this amazing cheesy bread, calzones, and bear claws for all the big holidays. I couldn't wait when these amazing items came hot and savory out of the oven.

This year for Yom Kippur which ended last night I attempted to mimic this tradition and made challah from scratch using my mothers recipe.

I neglected to get a grip on the amount of bread this recipe made and so created a bread turkey this challah was named jaba challah by everyone at our house for Yom. It was magnificent in its enormity, it nearly covered a sheet pan 11x17"and rose off the pan almost 6 inches tall. The shot above was taken mere minutes before it was pulled from the oven to be devoured. It was so good. I will be making French toast this Saturday with the leftovers.

It was so tasty, there is nothing more divine in this life than fresh homemade bread hot from the oven.

No comments: